Applications will start August 1, 2019 for the FALL 2020 School
AT NEW LOCATION.
6120 Purdue Drive SW, Atlanta, GA 30336
The Deadline for FALL 2020 is May 28, 2020.
General Information about the Apprenticeship Program
Mechanical Trades Institute - Joint Apprenticeship and Training Trust provides a five-year structured program that requires no previous knowledge to join other than a willingness to do hard work.
During the week students work alongside journeymen on the job site, learning their trade from first-hand experience. As first and second year apprentices you will split class time between online instruction and on-campus training. Our online curriculum allows a greater deal of flexibility for students who live far away from the campus or have complicated scheduling situations.
Upon entering the third year, you will be required to attend classes two nights a week for the remainder of the apprenticeship program. Each year of our program includes 1,700 to 2,000 hours of on the job training and a minimum of 224 hours of classroom instruction.
Before completing an application
Applications to enroll in the apprenticeship school are accepted at the Main Campus (6120 Purdue Drive, SW, Atlanta, GA 30036) Monday through Thursday, 9:00 am – 11:00 am and 1:00 pm – 3:00 pm.
Before completing an application, read about each of the courses of study that are offered at the MTI. Applicants will be required to select a craft during this application process. Apprentices may change crafts after enrollment with Board approval, but this may required to receive additional training.
In order for HVACR applicants to enroll in the Mechanical Service program, they must be working for a HVACR contractor prior to starting the program.
Plumbing (PL) - the installation of piping systems for domestic water and drainage, setting of fixtures, and process piping.
Pipefitting (PF) - the installation of steam and hot water heating systems, air conditioning and refrigeration systems, piping for power plants, and process piping.
Mechanical Service (HVACR) - the service and maintenance of heating, air conditioning, and refrigeration (prior vocational courses or commercial field experience is required along with a strong background in math, science, and electricity).
Qualifications for this Application Period -(August 1, 2019-May 28, 2020)
All application packets should be submitted in English. Each applicants must meet the following qualifications before applying to the JATT.
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Provide all required items in the application in person.
- Pay a $60.00 application fee (money order, debit, or credit card).
- Complete the Apprentice Application Form at the 6120 Purdue Drive SW, Atlanta, GA 30336.
- Provide Identification (Examples include:Birth Certificate, Social Security Card (with no restrictions), US Citizen ID Card, US Passport card, or Employment authorization document issued by the Department of Homeland Security).
- An OFFICIAL/SEALED High School Transcript with the graduation date & grades (we do not accept a diploma), an accredited technical or trade school transcript (degree or diploma program permitted, not certificate), a 4-year college degree transcript, OR your Official GED test scores.
- Provide your military separation form, DD-214 (Veterans Only).
What's next after completing the MTI application?
- Applicants that meet the MTI qualifications will be scheduled an interview. An interview schedule will be mailed to each applicant. It will be also be posted on the MTI website under the "application section". Applicants may check after to preview schedule on website.
- Applicants must report to their scheduled interview. Failure to appear for interview will nullify application.
- Any applicant that has a cumulative score above the score previously set by the Board of Trustees will be "conditionally" accepted.
- All applicants conditionally accepted in the program must successfully pass a drug test (scheduled by MTI) and attend a mandatory orientation. Failure of a drug test or failure to take a drug test when originally requested will nullify and applicant's application for one year. Applicants would have to re-apply for the program.
- Any applicant who have previously been terminated, withdrawn from the program, must wait 30 days before reapplying.
Once selected for the Apprenticeship Program, applicants are expected to:
- Serve a one year probationary period during their first year in the program.
- Complete the five year apprenticeship program.
- Report to work on a regular basis in order to acquire the required on-the-job training hours needed to advance through the apprenticeship program.
- Maintain reliable transportation to all locations that are in the Local 72 jurisdiction at all times to participate in the program. (See the Local 72 jurisdiction map below).
- Work under the direction of a Journeyman and perform satisfactorily.
- Attend the related training classes and maintain a minimum average of 75.
- Purchase the initial textbook/class materials for use in related training classes as required.
- Attend any mandatory orientation classes.
- Abide by the policies and regulations of the Mechanical Trades Institute - Local 72 Training Center.
Applicants not accepted may appeal, in writing, your rejection to the Administrative Director. Failure of drug test is not grounds for an appeal. Appeals must be received in the office of the Administrative Director no later than fifteen (15) days after receipt of notice of rejection.
The Local 72 working jurisdiction is highlighted yellow.
You will be sent a letter with a date and time to report for an interview with our Board of Trustees, failure to appear will nullify your application. Interview letters will be sent out by the beginning of July. If you do not receive a letter by the 2nd week of July please call our office. The Board of Trustees makes the final decision as to who is accepted into our program.
Interviews will be held at the Apprenticeship School, 6120 Purdue Drive SW, Atlanta, GA 30336.
Acceptance/Non-Acceptance into Program
You will be notified by letter within two weeks after interview of your acceptance or non-acceptance into the program.
If accepted by our Board of Trustees, you will be sent a letter notifying you of your orientation date. Orientation is mandatory in order to begin school in the September. Letters will be sent out by the end of August. MTI will also post information regarding orientations on the website.
Orientation is held at the Apprenticeship School at 6120 Purdue Drive SW, Atlanta, GA 30336.
Please note: Our office is not responsible if you do not receive your letter, it is your responsibility to notify our office of an address change.
Receiving credit for previous experience or training
- To receive credit for previous work experience, the applicant must provide proper documentation. Example documentation may include an employer letter of reference, previous W-2's, an update resume' with updated references with contact information.
- To receive credit for prior trade related training, the applicant must provide transcripts from an accredited technical or trade school, certificates or certification cards.
- No one will receive credit without an evaluation from a full time staff member of the apprenticeship school. You must schedule your evaluation with lead instructor of your respective craft.
How To Apply for Pre-Apprentice/Helper Job with Local Union 72
After each applicant has submitted a completed application, you are eligible to make application with Local Union #72 and begin working as a Helper/Pre-Apprentice in the trade for $10.00/hour while going through the application process (PROVIDED THAT WORK IS AVAILABLE).
Applications are accepted year-round at the Atlanta location Monday - Friday from 7:30 am to 10:00 am AND 12:00 p.m. to 2:30 pm
Local Union 72 -(Atlanta) - (374 Maynard Terrance, SE Atlanta, GA 30336 /404-373-5778)
$20 Application Fee (DOES NOT accept cash/ Does accept check, money order, Visa, or MasterCard ONLY)
Must provide 2 forms of identification (Valid Drivers License, Social Security Card, or Birth Certificate)
Local Union 72 -(Rome) - (110 Darlington Drive, SW Rome, GA 30161 / 1-706-291-6635 )
(Accepts check or money order ONLY)