The Application Period for FALL 2022 is now OPEN.
The Deadline for FALL 2022 is May 26, 2022.
Applications are completed ONLINE only.
You must be prepared to pay your $60 application fee and upload the following documents when you complete and upload your application. You should gather and be prepared to upload (your driver's license, a 2nd form of ID, your GED scores or official transcript(s) of your education completed.
Please combine your transcripts into one document for upload.
Read the information below and then CLICK HERE to access an application for the Local 72 Apprenticeship.
General Information about the Apprenticeship Program
Mechanical Trades Institute - Joint Apprenticeship and Training Trust provides a five-year structured program that requires no previous knowledge to join other than a willingness to do hard work.
During the week students work alongside journeymen on the job site, learning their trade from first-hand experience. As first and second year apprentices you will split class time between online instruction and on-campus training. Our online curriculum allows a greater deal of flexibility for students who live far away from the campus or have complicated scheduling situations.
Upon entering the third year, you will be required to attend classes two nights a week for the remainder of the apprenticeship program. Each year of our program includes 1,700 to 2,000 hours of on the job training and a minimum of 224 hours of classroom instruction.
Before completing an application
Before completing an application, read about each of the courses of study that are offered at the MTI. Applicants will be required to select a craft during this application process. Apprentices may change crafts after enrollment with Board approval, but this may required to receive additional training.
In order for HVACR applicants to apply for the Mechanical Service program, they must meet one the following criteria:
1. Have 2 years of documented work experience in HVACR. (W-2's or check stubs will verify employment).
2. Complete an HVACR technical school program
3. Must be working for a HVACR contractor prior to starting the program.
Plumbing (PL) - the installation of piping systems for domestic water and drainage, setting of fixtures, and process piping.
Pipefitting (PF) - the installation of steam and hot water heating systems, air conditioning and refrigeration systems, piping for power plants, and process piping.
Mechanical Service (HVACR) - the service and maintenance of heating, air conditioning, and refrigeration (prior vocational courses or commercial field experience is required along with a strong background in math, science, and electricity).
Qualifications for this Application Period
All application packets should be submitted in English. Each applicants must meet the following qualifications before applying to the JATT.
- Be at least 18 years of age. (Young graduates who turn 18 during the summer after graduation may apply if employed with a signatory contractor).
- Provide all required items in the online application.
- Provide a driver's license and a second form of ID. (Examples include:Birth Certificate, Social Security Card (with no restrictions), US Citizen ID Card, US Passport card, or Employment authorization document issued by the Department of Homeland Security).
- An OFFICIAL High School Transcript with the graduation date & grades (we do not accept a diploma), an accredited technical or trade school transcript (degree or diploma program permitted, not certificate), a 4-year college degree transcript, OR your Official GED test scores. Combine and upload all transcripts as one document on online application.
- Provide your military separation form, DD-214 (Veterans Only).
What's next after completing the MTI application?
- Applicants that meet the MTI qualifications will be scheduled an interview. It will also be posted on the MTI website under the "Admissions and Orientations". Applicants may check after June 13, 2022 to preview the interview schedule on the website.
- Interview procedures will be emailed and posted on school's website.
- Applicants must report to their scheduled interview. Failure to appear for interview will nullify application.
- Any applicant that has a cumulative score above the score previously set by the Board of Trustees will be "conditionally" accepted.
- All applicants conditionally accepted in the program must successfully pass a drug test (scheduled by MTI) and attend a mandatory orientation. Failure of a drug test or failure to take a drug test when originally requested will nullify and applicant's application for one year. Applicants would have to re-apply for the program.
- Any applicant who have previously been terminated, withdrawn from the program, must wait 30 days before reapplying.
Once selected for the Apprenticeship Program, applicants are expected to:
- Serve a one year probationary period during their first year in the program.
- Complete the five year apprenticeship program.
- Report to work on a regular basis in order to acquire the required on-the-job training hours needed to advance through the apprenticeship program.
- Maintain reliable transportation to all locations that are in the Local 72 jurisdiction at all times to participate in the program. (See the Local 72 jurisdiction map below).
- Work under the direction of a Journeyman and perform satisfactorily.
- Attend the related training classes and maintain a minimum average of 70.
- Attend any mandatory orientation classes.
- Abide by the policies and regulations of the Mechanical Trades Institute.
The Local 72 working jurisdiction is highlighted yellow.
The Board of Trustees makes the final decision as to who and how many are accepted into our program.
We will be conducting interviews for the FALL 2022 entry into the apprenticeship program during the month of June or July. Please continue to check our website for details. Applicants that have been working with one of our contractors for over 3 months by May 2022 will be granted "Direct Entry" into the program. That means, the applicants would bypass the interview process, would be conditionally accepted pending a drug test and attendance at the orientation.
Interviews will be held at the Apprenticeship School, 6120 Purdue Drive SW, Atlanta, GA 30336.
Acceptance/Non-Acceptance into Program
Applicants that are accepted into the program will be notified by viewing an acceptance list that will be posted on the school's website within 2-3 days of the scheduled interviews. Additional documentation will be mailed within 2 weeks of interviews.
If accepted by our Board of Trustees, you will be notified of your orientation date by viewing the website. Orientation is mandatory in order to begin school in the FALL 2022.
Orientation is held at the Apprenticeship School at 6120 Purdue Drive SW, Atlanta, GA 30336.
Please note: Our office is not responsible if you do not check the website for updates or receive any letters by mail. It is your responsibility to notify our office of any phone, email, or address change.
Receiving credit for previous experience or training
- To receive credit for previous work experience, an applicant must provide proper documentation. Examples of documentation required includes but is not limited to: an employer letter of reference, previous W-2's, a current resume' with references (including contact information).
- To receive credit for prior trade related training, the applicant must provide official transcripts from an accredited technical or trade school, certificates or certification cards.
- No one will receive credit without an evaluation from a full time staff member of the apprenticeship school. You must schedule your evaluation with lead instructor of your respective craft.
How To Apply for Pre-Apprentice/Helper Job with Local Union 72
After each applicant has submitted a completed application, you are eligible to make application with Local Union #72 and begin working as a Helper/Pre-Apprentice in the trade for $12.00/hour while going through the application process (PROVIDED THAT WORK IS AVAILABLE).
Applications are accepted year-round at the Atlanta location Monday - Friday from 7:30 am to 10:00 am AND 12:00 p.m. to 2:30 pm
Local Union 72 -(Atlanta) - (374 Maynard Terrance, SE Atlanta, GA 30336 /404-373-5778)
$20 Application Fee (DOES NOT accept cash/ Does accept check, money order, Visa, or MasterCard ONLY)
Must provide 2 forms of identification (Valid Drivers License, Social Security Card, or Birth Certificate)
Local Union 72 -(Rome) - (110 Darlington Drive, SW Rome, GA 30161 / 1-706-291-6635 )
(Accepts check or money order ONLY)